Wednesday in the Herb Garden
Join lead steward Nancy Sills in Troy Gardens' herb garden every other Wednesday evening beginning May 11, 2016 from 6:00-7:00pm.
Sample and learn about the many herbs growing in our garden as we weed and create new garden beds. The Herb Garden cannot be seen from Troy Drive. Park on the street and walk up the Maple Lane or the western path along the community gardens. When you reach the top of the hill, look to the left of the prairie for the Edible Woodland sign.
- We do not meet when it is raining. If it is raining or looks threatening at 6 pm, we call it off and try again next week.
- We also typically do not meet when the temperature is 90 degrees or higher.
- Ticks and mosquitoes are common, so bring a hat and bug spray.
- Gardening tools for our use are available in the community garden shed and the Natural Areas mailbox (located next to the herb garden). Some of us bring our own tools and gloves, so feel free to bring tools from home if you prefer.
- Although we officially meet Wednesday nights, everyone is welcome in the herb garden at any time. Harvest herbs and do a little weeding whenever you feel like it! Please let Nancy know afterwards if you work in the herb garden outside of Wednesday evenings so that she can record your volunteer hours.
- As always, we are looking to expand our collection of plants. We are especially looking for angelica, tarragon, echinacea, golden seal, winter savory, lavender, and plants that can be used for dyeing cloth. Of course, we'll consider anything that is well-behaved and belongs in an herb garden! If you would like to donate any of these plants from your garden at home, we will happily accept them!